Sunday, October 10, 2010

National Coming Out Day

In the US, October 11, and in the UK, October 12, has been designated as National Coming Out Day. (This strikes me as a rather odd thing to call what is supposed to be an international event.) Many asexuals are thinking about various ways to get involved in this, and there has been considerable discussion of the matter on AVEN: National Coming Out Day--the revised thread.

If you choose to participate, please consider talking about your experiences in the thread National Coming Out Day: A follow up, or discussing the matter in the comments.

For myself, it is something of a time to reflect. While I have done lots of stuff regarding asexual visibility and education (i.e. writing this blog, among a number of other things), I'm not all that out about my asexuality in real life. Some of my family and friends back home know, and here in Champaign-Urbana, I've been slowly becoming more open about it. (Often, this has been by informing people of the topic of my blog--which I even did in a conference presentation about scalar implicatures one time as I used my blog to recruit participants, and several faculty members know that I am interested in doing sociolinguistic research on the asexual community.)

And yet, I don't feel very comfortable doing any kind of large-scale coming out anything, so I feel sort of awkward writing about it here encouraging other people to do so. And yet because I'm on the PT and the PT is very much trying to promote this event, I feel like I should. I'm not entirely sure what to make of this.

No comments: