Saturday, August 15, 2009

Blog summary

At the end of last year, I finished a rather lengthy series, and since then, my blog has kind of been all over the place. I just finished a series on criticisms of asexuality, but I had related posts before starting that series, so I figured I would do a topical summary of posts this year, excluding news updates (i.e. announcements about my website, updates to that site, and new academic publications about asexuality, etc.)

Humor

I started the year with attempts at some humorous posts:
Lexicon Fail

Analogy Fail

Asexual Wikipedia Fight Reproduces by Itself
About a month later, I had a follow up:

Wikipedia update

Random topics

Are asexuals non-religious?: I examine the belief in the asexual community that asexuals are more likely to not be religious.

Pronouns and gender-part I. I had intended to write a part II, but lack of motivation and writers block set in.

In defense of the prop 8 ruling but not defending prop 8. There I deviated from my usual topic of asexuality because I sensed a lot of anger and a lot of misinformation and misunderstanding surrounding that court case. I tried to help readers understand the issues.

Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder

Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder and the Asexual Community: A History. This was an expanded version (with citations) of an article appearing in AVENues at the same time. It was written as a stand alone article, but a few months later, I decided to start a series on the subject.

Is asexuality as sexual dysfunction? This was intended as an introduction.

Challenging HSDD. I used a publication challenging HSDD as a springboard for discussion.

Then a nasty case of writer's block set in, and I found myself unable to continue the series.

A-pologetics

A-pologetics.

Back in January, I coined this term to refer to standard responses to anti-asexual comments. My goal was to help people be more understanding of where such claimants are coming from.

I then took up this topic again in June when I couldn't continue my HSDD series. After an introductory post, I consider a number of standard responses asexuals get when coming out. I am critical of both the anti-asexual nature of the response and the typical asexual replies. The exception is "sexual repression," which is a concept that I think needs to die. Here my response is probably stronger that the typical asexual response. I finished the series with the only criticism of asexuality that genuinely bothers me, even though it's a criticism that I rarely hear.

Whence comest thou, O asexohater?

You're not asexual. You're just a late bloomer.

Am I sexually repressed?

Accusing others of sexual repression

You're not asexual. You just haven't met the right person yet.

Have you considered the possibility that you might be...(hushed voice)
gay?


You're not asexual. You're just not willing to accept your true sexuality.

If someone who isn't really asexual identifies as asexual, so what?

How can you know you're asexual if you've never had sex?

The only criticism of asexuality that actually bothers me

1 comment:

Queers United said...

you have been a serious asset to the asexual community and beyond, and your posts have been most informative.