Saturday, January 10, 2009

Analogy Fail

Perhaps you've read about the cake analogy: sex is like chocolate cake. Some people like it; some people don't. Suppose you've never had chocolate cake. If you've never wanted to try it and even after knowing about it, you still have absolutely no desire to try it, it's perfectly fine to say you're not interested.

In asexdom, you'll find various analogies to explain things. Some have more fans than others. Recently, I was trying to think of new analogies for asexuality, and here's one I came up with.

Puppies. Asexuality is like puppies. They're so cute and lovable and fun to play with, and you just wanna give 'em a great big hug. But no matter how much you like them, when they mount your leg, it's just like, "I don't think I'm comfortable with this." Asexuality is like that, except instead of puppies, people, and instead of your leg...

On second thought, perhaps I need to take my parable back to the verisimilitudinal drawing board.

7 comments:

bmmg39 said...

Interesting...I've used the "chocolate cake" analogy, completely independent of this. A repressed person would be one who really desires chocolate cake, but refrains from having some, because of a diet, or Lent, or the want to save the cake for someone else. But if a person simply has no desire to have chocolate cake, then that's not repression but rather disinterest.

grasexuality said...

To take the fail a step farther, my gf read this and then said, "Huh. You are like a puppy. I like kicking you." XD

pretzelboy said...

bmmg39--I don't tend to be a big fan of the word 'repressed' whether used for asexual people or sexual people. I think the idea comes from Freud, whose ideas don't strike me as very ace-friendly. In everyday life, people have to repress desires all the time. The chocolate cake may look delicious, but if someone is trying to lose weight, it'd probably be a good idea to repress that desire.

gray lady--Fail indeed. I believe that would be an analogy for something other than asexuality.

Ily said...

Another reason puppies might not work is because, at least from the results of AVEN polls, it seems like aces find baby animals more appealing than human babies.
I think that for some people, not liking chocolate might be even more scandalous than not liking sex. I have a friend who doesn't like chocolate and when I heard that, I was all, "WHAT?!?!?" Although this was before I knew about asexuality. Now I probably wouldn't say that...

The Impossible K said...

Fail or not, I think this analogy was LOL funny... I've been struggling to explain asexuality to my boyfriend. Maybe if I try this one, he'll understand... or at least laugh :)

Anonymous said...

I have a question to you guys. I guess you can have a boyfriend/girlfriend although you're asextuals (from the posting above). How could you classify your boyfriend/girlfriend from the other male/female friends without a sex or a physical interaction? It's very interesting...

pretzelboy said...

Anonymous commenter--I don't have a lot of experience in this area, but this is a topic that a lot of people have discussed. I recommend looking at the asexual relationships forum on asexuality.org. From what I understand, I think the important thing is how the people in the relationship feel about it. Two people can have sex, but that doesn't mean their a romantic couple--it could be a one-night-stand or "friends with benefits." The important thing is what the sex means to them or how they feel about the relationship. Sex is only going to be the thing that defines a "Relationship" and makes it different from their other friendships, if that is what sex means to those people. For asexuals, if there is a strong mutual feeling of romantic attraction and they think of themselves as being in a "Relationship," then it feels like a "Relationship" to them.