Saturday, October 18, 2008

My blog so far

I’ve just finished a 7 part series on defining asexuality, which was preceded by a 3 part series on asexuality and celibacy, making a 10 part series (so far) on asexuality identity politics—so I wanted to do a recap. When I was first planning on writing the post on defining asexuality, I figured it would just be one post, but as I started writing, I got more ideas about things I wanted to write about, or arguments that made sense in my head just didn't work on paper (actually, my laptop's, but that doesn't carry the same idiomatic sense.) Somehow, one post managed to become seven.

Because of this, I’ve decided to give an outline of my blog so far, especially for new readers to have some idea of where to start, should they feel so-inclined.

I started this blog back in June and the first several posts were largely autobiographical.
Self-Introduction
Wanting to be a Groupie
Some reflections on coming to identify as asexual
Asexy Ambivalence

Then I had a two-part series on asexuality’s negative definition
Some reelections on a negatively defined identity
More reflections on a negatively defined identity

The next post was an attempt to experiment with different genres, and it ended up being something of an autobiography-satire hybrid, so it’s a little bit hard to categorize.
Repressed!

After that was a two part series on coming out as asexual. The first was mostly autobiographical and the second more theoretical.
Thoughts on coming out part I: early attempts
Thoughts on coming out part II: words

Since “Thoughts on coming out part II,” I haven’t spent much time writing about my own experience, and the majority of my blog has been about asexuality more generally. The next two posts were about words and grammar and the one after that was about doing asexual history.
Grammar
Grammar Part 2: More thoughts on words
Asexual people of the past: should we care?

After this, the direction of the blog took a turn towards asexual identity politics. I had thought that since the new semester was about to begin, I wouldn’t be able to blog as regularly as I had over the summer. But as I started writing and reading people’s comments, I kept thinking of more things to write about, and I felt that I had to keep writing. Now that I’m done with that, I really do plan to spend less time blogging. Anyway…I had three posts on asexuality and celibacy. (There were also a few short posts that I'm not listing here.)
Asexuality and Celibacy
Asexuality and Celibacy: Part 2
What is celibacy?

Then, I moved to the topic of defining asexuality.
Defining Asexuality
You’re not a real asexual! Resisting pressure for a narrow definition
“You’re asexual if you say you’re asexual.” The ultimate attempt at an inclusive definition
“Asexual: A person who does not experience sexual attraction” Using a narrow definition
Alternate ways of defining asexuality
Asexuality-the history of a definition, part I
Asexuality-the history of a definition, part II

2 comments:

KC the MoUsY spell-checker said...

Hello. I'd just like to say that I really appreciate your blog. I've been thinking about the negatively-defined identity issue too, and to me it helps to see what other people think about it.

I study linguistics too, and I find the entries about grammar and words interesting.

pretzelboy said...

Hi KC! It’s always nice to hear from some else who studies linguistics (I find that most people don’t even know what it is.) I look forward to reading more of your comments.