Sunday, August 31, 2008

What's in a name?

So, I've decided to change the name of my blog. I'm generally not all that good at coming up with names, and when I decided to start a blog about asexuality, of course, I needed to think of one. To illustrate how utterly bad I am at this, I'll confess, with some embarrassment, the first name I had made up: "Asexuality and Stuff." (Ever wonder why my url is asexystuff.blogspot.com? Now you know.) For reasons now beyond even my own comprehension, I really liked the name, probably because, for reasons equally inexplicable, I have long had a peculiar affinity to the word "stuff," and this more or less did sum up, in a way, the topic I would be writing about. After I managed to convince myself to change the name, the best I could come up with was "Musings on an Asexy Theme."

But now I don't really like that name anymore, so I've decided to change it to "Asexual Explorations." I'm not entirely sure why I like the name, but I do. It seems to fit the subject of the blog since I am attempting to explore themes related to asexuality and give voice to my own story and my own thoughts and feelings. My new title reminds me of a college algebra book that I sort of but not really taught from (we had a text book that we ignored and there was a course packed that we used instead.) Anyway, the book was called Explorations in College Algebra , and on the cover it had a picture of one of the authors scuba diving amidst beautiful underwater scenery (which I could never figure out how it was related to anything I taught in the class,) but it suggesting that the topic was wondrous, exciting, and fascinating. I don't think any of my students were fooled. Likewise I want to suggest that my blog is bold, daring, and opens up a whole new perspective on the world, when in reality I'm writing about the oh-so-titillating subject of not having sex.

3 comments:

rainbowamoeba said...

I like this new title, especially as thinking and writing about asexuality feels like exploring a newly discovered territory at times - and I'm sure that it feels that way to people when they hear of asexuality for the first time.

I confess I actually think that "Asexuality and Stuff" was pretty cool - maybe not very specific and definitely not as exciting as "Asexual Explorations", but it's rare to have a specific idea of what we want a newly-created blog to be like anyway. And I really like the word "stuff" - I tend to use it way too much in fact...

pretzelboy said...

I'm glad that you like the title. And it's nice to know that someone else shares my love of the word 'stuff.'

Anonymous said...

I like the new name. I agree with the previous commenter that exploration is quite an apt title for your blog.
I never understood your fascination with the word 'stuff'.